Interview - Patrick Rutigliano


An accomplished writer with several impressive attributes in standalone novels or compilation work, author Patrick Rutigliano has created a strong collection of titles to his name with his work. Now, in honor of the release of his latest book, "Bestiary" from Crystal Lake Publishing, I talk with him about his early interest in writing, the book itself, and some upcoming projects.


Me: Hello and thank you for taking the time to do this. First off, when did you get into horror in general? What films or books specifically got you into watching horror movies?
Patrick Rutigliano: I’ve been a horror fan for nearly as long as I can remember. I cut my teeth on the Universal Monster movies as a young kid first and loved them. Getting older, I got big into 80s horror films (particularly John Carpenter’s work and the “Evil Dead” films). I also started reading horror very early, stumbling on the unabridged versions of “Dracula” and “Frankenstein” while I was either in elementary school or very early middle school (I’m still shocked they were available in a classroom!). I read a lot of the old Alfred Hitchcock anthologies as well.

Me: Who were some of your favorite writers growing up? Do you try to take influences from their style with your own voice in your work?
PR: I was a big fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes stories and John Bellairs’ young adult novels growing up. And while it was by way of his scripts, I definitely have to include Rod Serling as well. He was such a fascinating mix of humanist and cynic, and his work still holds up impressively well. While I don’t purposely draw from anyone’s particular style, I’m sure some of it has subconsciously bled into my own.

Me: What was the starting point of becoming a writer? Were you always into writing growing up?
PR: While I always loved reading, I came to writing rather late. I discovered Lovecraft’s work in college and became so enamored with it that I felt I had to try my hand at writing my own stories. I gradually evolved from writing bad pastiche to finding my own voice.

Me: What is your writing process? How do you stay focused on writing?
PR: Generally, a core concept for a story will strike me, and I just start building around it. I’m not a big fan of outlines and usually try for a more organic approach that just lets me follow along with my characters.

Focus typically isn’t difficult for me once I start on a project—finding time, quiet, and privacy is far more of a challenge.

Me: Is there any specific genre you prefer to write? Is there a style or format that you find easier to get into, even if you don't have a preference?
PR: Cosmic horror will always be my favorite sub-genre of horror. It’s bleak; existential implications really resonate with me. As for format, I gravitate heavily toward short stories and poetry. I actually find the length novels necessitate rather overwhelming.

Me: Having contributed to various anthologies early in your career, what tools and skills do you acquire working on those that transferred to future projects?
PR: I think the editorial input I got on all those anthology stories was very valuable. Those notes gave me some great pointers on mistakes and bad habits I needed to correct.

Me: What is the general process for getting involved in these projects?
PR: I didn’t and don’t have much of a process for getting involved in anthology projects. It’s usually just a matter of keeping your eyes open for publisher open calls and trying to remember if you have a story that fits the guidelines.

Me: That brings us to your latest book, “Bestiary.” Where did the inspiration for the book come from? Were there any unique stories about its conception?
PR: “Bestiary” really sprang from my love of monsters. I found a lot of appeal in the idea of a villain who could provide me with a menagerie to work with. Cromwell’s motive also reflects a twisted version of my own personal mission (my love of the weird and strange, and the desire to share it with people), which made him a rather compelling character for me. I’d also come away from my first novel, “Surviving the Crash,” not very long before I started “Bestiary.” The former had a pretty heavy pulp tone. I enjoyed writing it so much, I wanted to try another book with a similar, if somewhat more grounded, style.

Me: When writing a new project, what's the one fallback tactic that you're always able to draw inspiration from?
PR: Usually, just taking a breather to go re-experience some of the things that make me want to create in the first place. Reading good stories, playing good games, and watching cool movies all help get the gears grinding again.

Me: Was there any special significance to making the characters fight off a modern-day mad scientist? What went through creating this kind of universe to be immersive for the reader?
PR: Well, “scientist” might be a bit of a misnomer for Cromwell. He’s more of a carnival ringmaster crossed with a revivalist minister (although he is technically a doctor—I won’t spoil as to what field). As to significance, his life’s work leaves him adored by his followers just as much as the protagonists despise him. He’s done real good and caused awful harm, which lends a hint of moral ambiguity to the main character’s mission of revenge against him.

Writing “Bestiary,” I really tried to keep things gritty and logical within the context of the world it fills. There are unnatural powers at work, but I wanted to make sure the effects on the characters felt real and that there were serious consequences for everything happening.

Me: Was there anything while writing the characters that you were surprised by in telling the story?
PR: Definitely. One of the supporting characters actually turned into a villain every bit as important as the main antagonist I originally envisioned!

Me: Once it was finally written, what was the process for having it published?
PR: “Bestiary” actually went on a bit of an odd journey. I originally planned on simultaneously self-publishing it on online platforms and my blog, but the failure of another self-publishing project put me off the idea. Unfortunately, I’d already started releasing chapters on my blog, giving it the dreaded status of reprint material. When I saw Crystal Lake Publishing was opening a pulp line, I decided to take a chance and ask if the editor might be interested. Fortunately, he ended up liking it!

Me: What do you do to keep your creative energy flowing?
PR: Continuing to seek out new stuff to inspire me is always key. That can come by way of books, movies, games, art, and almost anything else.

Me: Lastly, what else are you working on that you’d like to share with our readers? Thank you for your time!
PR: Right now, I’m mainly working on short stories to fill out another collection. In fact, my most recent collection, “The Neonate and Other Anomalies,” is due out from Crystal Lake Publishing next month!

Comments